A Syrian man was arrested in northern Germany on Tuesday after allegedly preparing to carry out a bomb attack, local officials say, claiming that a major terrorist attack had been averted. The exact target of the attack is unknown.
The man, who was only identified as 19-year-old Yamen A., was arrested on early Tuesday morning when special police forces carried out a raid in the northern city of Schwerin, about 93 kilometers (58 miles) east of Hamburg.
The prosecutor's office said Yamen is believed to have been plotting and preparing for an Islamist bomb attack in Germany. The man had allegedly decided to detonate an explosive device in the midst of a crowd of people, although it's unclear whether he had already selected a target.
German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said a "major terrorist attack" had been prevented.
In order to plan the attack, Yamen is accused of seeking contact with jihadists to help him put the bomb together. He eventually placed an order for chemicals which are used to make TATP, the same kind of explosive that was also used in terrorist attacks in Paris, Brussels, and Manchester.
Yamen also bought two radios, batteries, and a cellphone battery, suggesting that he planned for a remote-controlled explosion, according to the prosecutor's office. He further placed an order for 10 kilograms (22 pounds) of hydrogen peroxide, but he canceled the order for unknown reasons.
It was not immediately known whether Yamen was acting on behalf of a terrorist group, but prosecutors said he was in contact with someone who claimed to be a member of the Islamic State group (ISIS). He was also in contact with other people who were interested in jihadist content.
Published on November 01, 2017 - 12:12am EDT