BREAKING

U.S. FCC votes to repeal net neutrality rules


          The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has voted to end net neutrality, repealing rules passed by the Obama administration which sought to ensure equal access to content on the internet.

During a meeting in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, the FCC commissioners voted 3 to 2 to abolish net neutrality rules by approving the so-called 'Restoring Internet Freedom' order. The commissioners voted along party lines; all 3 Republicans voted in favor of the repeal.

Internet service providers, which are currently classified as a utility, will return to their original classification as an information service. This gives companies greater control over customer access to internet content.

In theory, internet service providers would be able to slow down access to competitors or websites which have content they disagree with. It would also allow companies to charge extra fees for certain types of content - for example, by charging extra for services such as Netflix.

The administration of former President Barack Obama passed the net neutrality rules in February 2015 to ensure equal and unrestricted access to the internet. "There are no toll roads on the information superhighway," Obama said in 2014.

The room where Thursday's meeting was taking place was briefly disrupted over an apparent bomb threat. The commissioners and those attending were evacuated and police officers with dogs searched the room, but nothing was found. The meeting resumed a short time later.

Thursday's vote followed strong opposition from public interest groups and internet activists, and polls show Americans are overwhelmingly in favor of net neutrality rules. The U.S. Congress could still act to keep the rules and legal challenges are likely.

Supporters of the change, however, have called net neutrality a regulatory overreach and argue that repealing them will help small companies that provide internet services. They also note that the rules were passed only two years ago and customers are unlikely to see any changes in the near future.

A number of politicians and 18 Attorneys General from across the United States had called on the FCC to delay Thursday's vote, citing concern that the agency's commenting system had been compromised.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said on Wednesday that as many as 2 million comments about net neutrality may have been submitted with stolen identities. Nearly half a million comments came from Russian email addresses, according to his office.

Schneiderman, responding to Thursday's vote, said he will lead a multi-state lawsuit in an attempt to stop the rollback of net neutrality. "The FCC's vote to rip apart net neutrality is a blow to New York consumers, and to everyone who cares about a free and open internet," he said in a statement, calling the vote an "early Christmas present" for big telecom.



Published on December 14, 2017 - 1:12pm EST




  United States     

 



LEAVE COMMENTS




HAPPENING NOW

4 people found dead at home in Ryerson, Ontario

Vehicle strikes security barrier near the White House

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens indicted for invasion of privacy

Australian Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce to resign over misconduct allegation

Florida Amber Alert: Juliet Odierna abducted from Cape Coral



Sign up for the fastest breaking news alerts by email.






BNO NEWS RADIO


Listen to "BNO News - Breaking News Radio" on Spreaker.






EXPLORE MORE NEWS

BREAKING

Vehicle strikes security barrier near the White House


          A woman has been taken into custody after crashing her vehicle into a security barrier near the White House, the Secret Service says. The White House was put on lockdown but there are no reports of injuries.   

  1 day ago


   Washington, D.C.     

 

BREAKING

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens indicted for invasion of privacy


          A grand jury has indicted Missouri Governor Eric Greitens with a felony invasion of privacy charge for allegedly taking a nude photo of a woman with whom he had an affair in 2015. He was briefly taken into custody.   

  1 day ago


   St. Louis, MO     

 


Australian Deputy PM Barnaby Joyce to resign over misconduct allegation


          Australian Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, who resisted calls to resign over an affair with a former member of his staff, announced on Friday that he will step down after an allegation of sexual harassment.   

  1 day ago


   Australia     

 





AROUND THE WEB






BNO News B.V. 2016. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions