U.S. says North Korea’s nuclear test ‘not consistent’ with successful h-bomb
PUBLISHED Wed, January 06, 2016 - 1:39pm EST
An initial analysis carried out by the United States of North Korea’s nuclear test is “not consistent” with a successful test of a hydrogen nuclear device, the White House said on Wednesday. (more)
White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, speaking at a daily press briefing, said the U.S. government was continuing to analyze the available technical data, but downplayed the North’s claims of a successful hydrogen bomb test.
“The initial analysis that’s been conducted of the events that were reported overnight is not consistent with North Korean claims of a successful hydrogen bomb test,” Earnest said. “There is nothing that has occurred in the last 24 hours that has caused the United States government to change our assessment of North Korea’s technical and military capabilities.”
Earlier on Wednesday, a nuclear test was detected at a test site in North Korea, and the country announced shortly after that it had carried out a successful test of a miniaturized hydrogen nuclear device. If true, it would mark a significant development from the North's plutonium-fueled tests in 2006, 2009 and 2013.
This is a breaking news alert. Please check back or follow @BNONews on Twitter as details become available. If you want to receive breaking news alerts by email, click here to sign up. You can also like us on Facebook by clicking here.
United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned North Korea's latest nuclear test on Friday as a "brazen breach" of U.N. Security Council resolutions. Britain and Australia condemn the latest nuclear test by North Korea and say China should use its influence to persuade Pyongyang to end the detonations. James Valles reporting (@jamesvalles)
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says his country is a responsible nuclear weapons state, pledging to only use its nuclear arsenal if the country's sovereignty is threatened by a nuclear power. (more) Read More