U.N. expert: Aleppo aid convoy attacked by Russian air strike
PUBLISHED Wed, October 05, 2016 - 10:47am EDT
A U.N. expert said on Wednesday, analysis of satellite imagery of a deadly attack on an aid convoy in Syria last month showed that it was an air strike. Some 20 people were killed in the attack on the U.N. and Syrian Arab Red Crescent convoy at Urem Al-Kubra near the northern city of Aleppo. The attack also destroyed 18 of 31 trucks, a warehouse and clinic. The United States blamed two Russian warplanes. The planes were in the skies above the area at the time of the incident. Moscow denies the allegation. According to them, the convoy caught fire.
At least 22 children have been killed and others are injured after warplanes struck a school complex in northwest Syria, the UN children's agency UNICEF reports. It is thought the airstrikes were carried out by Russian or Syrian jets. Read More
Safety has run its course for residents in the Syrian city of Hama. Once protected by their basements, resident are now struggling to survive sophisticated weapons of war brought to the fight by international powers. According to the head of an underground hospital, burrowed 17 meters below a mountain, more powerful bombs are threatening to entomb their rocky enclave. Read More
One of the main hospitals in the besieged Syrian city of Aleppo was reportedly struck Saturday for the second time in four days as regime forces backed by Russia bombard rebel-held areas. The M10 hospital was hit by two barrel bombs, two cluster bombs and at least one rocket, Adham Sahloul, a spokesman for the Syrian American Medical Society, told CNN. (CNN) Read More