Shooting at University of Cincinnati prompts lockdown, no injuries
PUBLISHED Mon, October 17, 2016 - 8:25pm EDT
Credit: Ben Katko
The University of Cincinnati was placed on lockdown after an active shooter was reported on campus, but no one was injured and the suspected shooter was able to flee before officers arrived. The shelter-in-place has since been lifted.
The alert was issued at 8:18 p.m. ET on Monday, warning faculty and students that shots had been fired on campus. Shell casings were found outside Dabney Hall but Police Chief Anthony Carter confirmed that no one was injured.
"UC Public Safety has received reports of shots fired on campus. Shelter in place, stay away from windows and lock doors," the university said in an alert as a large number of officers, some of them heavily armed, responded to the scene.
Police searched the buildings on campus for nearly 1.5 hour before the lockdown was lifted at 9:40 p.m., though the suspect remains at large. Police believe there is no longer a threat to students and it is believed that the shooting was an isolated incident.
Details about the exact circumstances of the shooting were not immediately available, but the University of Cincinnati Police Department said the suspect - described as a black male who is about 5 feet 10 inches tall - was last seen running towards the baseball field. He was wearing gray shorts.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact authorities.
This is a breaking news alert. Please check back or follow @BNONews on Twitter as details become available. If you want to receive breaking news alerts by email, click here to sign up. You can also like BNO News on Facebook by clicking here.