‘House of Cards’ production halted after Kevin Spacey allegation


PUBLISHED Wed, November 01, 2017 - 12:54am EDT
Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey in 'House of Cards' (Credit: Netflix)


The production for the upcoming season of "House of Cards" was suspended Tuesday after actor Kevin Spacey was accused of sexual misconduct. It came just a day after Netflix announced that the series would end soon. (more)





A joint statement from Netflix and Media Rights Capital, which produces the series, said production of "House of Cards" had been suspended until further notice. Filming for the sixth season, which is scheduled to be released next year, began several weeks ago.

"MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on 'House of Cards' season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew," the statement said. It did not clarify whether it was considering to cancel the series immediately.

Netflix confirmed on Monday that the popular drama series would end after the sixth season, but sources at the company said the decision to end "House of Cards" had actually been made months ago. The accusation against Spacey, however, prompted Netflix to confirm the news.

In a story published on Sunday, "Star Trek: Discovery" actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making a sexual advance towards him in 1986, when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26. The allegation immediately prompted speculation about the future of "House of Cards."

In an interview with BuzzFeed, Rapp said Spacey befriended him while they both performed on Broadway shows in the mid-1980s. Spacey is accused of placing the 14-year-old actor on a bed, climbing on top of him, and making a sexual advance after a party at Spacey's apartment.

Spacey, in a statement released on early Monday, said he was "beyond horrified" to hear Rapp's allegation and claimed he did not remember the encounter. "If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior," he said.

The actor went on to reveal that he is bisexual and has had relationships with both men and women, but that he now chooses to live as a gay man. Spacey's inclusion of his sexual orientation, which he had declined to discuss for decades, prompted further outrage from the public.

Also on Tuesday, the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said it had decided to revoke Spacey's International Emmy Founders Award, which he was due to receive on November 20. The organization cited "recent events" for revoking the honor.





  United States     

 



LEAVE COMMENTS



.

 


Happening Now

Air China suspends all flights to North Korea

Taiwan earthquake: Moderate quake hits near Chiayi

‘The Partridge Family’ star David Cassidy dead at 67

Dramatic video shows North Korean defector’s escape

Uber concealed data breach affecting 57 million people





BNO NEWS RADIO


Listen to "BNO News - Breaking News Radio" on Spreaker.




SIGN-UP BREAKING ALERTS



Just want the important news? Sign up now for the fastest email alerts from BNO News. Click here to get started!




LIVE WIRE


Taiwan earthquake: Moderate quake hits near Chiayi

Large fire and explosion along I-75 near Auburn Hills, Michigan

Iowa Amber Alert: Beyonce Carrasco abducted from Denison

Shooting at Ace Hardware in Goffstown, New Hampshire, kills 1

‘The Partridge Family’ star David Cassidy in critical condition - TMZ





VIDEOS


British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon resigns over allegations

Catalonia declares independence from Spain

Knife-wielding man attacks people at mall in southeast Poland

U.S. company to resume search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370

North Korea preparing for long-range missile test, Russian lawmaker says