Enrique Marquez, friend of San Bernardino attackers, pleads not guilty
PUBLISHED Wed, January 06, 2016 - 2:07pm EST
Photo: Enrique Marquez
Enrique Marquez Jr., the friend of San Bernardino attackers Tashfeen Malik and Sayed Farook, has pled not guilty to federal terrorism charges in connection with the purchase of weapons and previous terror plots. (more)
Marquez appeared before Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym at the U.S. District Court in Riverside on Wednesday and entered a plea of not guilty. Judge Pym set a trial date for February 23 before U.S. District Judge Jesus Bernal.
Marquez was indicted by a federal grand jury last week on one count of conspiring to provide material support to terrorists, two counts of making a false statement in relation to the purchase of assault rifles, one count of marriage fraud, and one count of making a false statement on a visa application.
Marquez was at work when Malik and Farook, the wife-husband duo, carried out a deadly shooting rampage in San Bernardino, killing 12 people. Marquez, who allegedly bought the weapons used in the shooting, is accused of having conspired with Farook to carry out attacks at a Riverside City College and on the 91 freeway.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation says it is investigating a new method that may allow investigators to break into the iPhone of San Bernardino gunman Syed Rizwan Farook without the assistance of Apple. (more) Read More
FBI agents searched the California townhome of the brother of one of the San Bernardino terror attack shooters. Syed Raheel Farook is a Navy veteran who earned medals for fighting global terrorism. Agents were carrying out a search warrant as part of an ongoing investigation.
Apple’s CEO Tim Cook says his company will not comply with a court order to help the FBI break into an iPhone recovered from one of the San Bernardino shooters citing the move would threaten the security of its customers. (more) Read More