World
France raises threat level to ‘attack emergency’ after Strasbourg shooting
France has raised its national threat level to “Attack Emergency,” the highest level on a three-step scale, as security forces search for a man who opened fire near a Christmas market in Strasbourg.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner told reporters on early Wednesday morning that the national Vigipirate level had been raised from “Heightened Security” to “Attack Emergency,” the highest level.
The government’s official website says an Attack Emergency, or Urgence Attentat in French, can be declared in the event of an imminent threat of a terrorist act or directly after an attack.
Castaner said the alert, which allows for “exceptional measures” to prevent another attack, will help bolster security at events across the country. It will also be used to improve security at the border.
The decision came just hours after a gunman opened fire near the Christmas market in Strasbourg, killing 3 people and injuring 12 others. The suspect, a 29-year-old man, remains at large and a manhunt is underway.
RELATED: Gunman opens fire near Christmas market in Strasbourg, killing 3
-
World6 days agoEthiopian volcano erupts for first time in thousands of years
-
Legal3 days agoUtah Amber Alert: Jessika Francisco abducted by sex offender in Ogden
-
Legal1 week agoWoman in critical condition after being set on fire on Chicago train
-
US News2 days agoExplosion destroys home in Oakland, Maine; at least 1 injured
-
World1 week agoHurricane Melissa registered 252 mph wind gust, breaking global record
-
Health3 days agoMexico’s September human bird flu case confirmed as H5N2
-
Legal1 week agoSuspect in San Diego stabbing shot by authorities after fleeing into Mexico
-
Legal1 week ago1 dead, 2 injured in shooting at Dallas Walmart parking lot
