U.S. warns North Korea against actions that would ‘end its regime’


PUBLISHED Wed, August 09, 2017 - 1:23pm EDT
Embed from Getty Images


U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has warned North Korea to stop considering actions that would "lead to the end of its regime and the destruction of its people," an apparent reference to the North's threat to attack Guam. (more)

Mattis said the United States and its allies have the capabilities to defend themselves from an attack, and called on North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to "take heed" of last week's unanimous decision by the United Nations Security Council to impose more sanctions on North Korea.

"The DPRK must choose to stop isolating itself and stand down its pursuit of nuclear weapons," Mattis said in a statement, referring to North Korea by its official name. "The DPRK should cease any consideration of actions that would lead to the end of its regime and the destruction of its people."

The comment is an apparent reference to North Korea's threat earlier on Wednesday, when a spokesman for North Korea's army said the armed forces are "carefully examining" a plan to fire ballistic missiles "at the areas around" the U.S. territory of Guam, which is home to military bases.

"While our State Department is making every effort to resolve this global threat through diplomatic means, it must be noted that the combined allied militaries now possess the most precise, rehearsed and robust defensive and offensive capabilities on Earth," Mattis added. "The DPRK regime's actions will continue to be grossly overmatched by ours and would lose any arms race or conflict it initiates."

The latest round of threats was prompted by news that the U.S. intelligence community has concluded that North Korea has successfully produced a miniaturized nuclear warhead that can fit inside its long-range missiles, which are in theory capable of reaching the United States.

The news prompted Trump to warn North Korea to stop making any further threats to the United States. "They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen," he said. "[Kim Jong Un] has been very threatening beyond a normal state, and as I said they will be met with fire and fury and frankly power, the likes of which this world has never seen before."

Just hours later, North Korea said it was considering a plan to "contain" military bases on Guam, from where U.S. bombers have repeatedly taken off to fly over the Korean Peninsula in a show of force. It also condemned the U.S. for a recent long-range missile test, calling the moves "reckless military provocations."

The latest developments follow months of escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula, fueled by North Korea's frequent missile tests and its advancing nuclear weapons program, as well as U.S. military exercises and statements by U.S. President Donald Trump.


  Full statement from U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis (click to expand)

The United States and our allies have the demonstrated capabilities and unquestionable commitment to defend ourselves from an attack. Kim Jong Un should take heed of the United Nations Security Council’s unified voice, and statements from governments the world over, who agree the DPRK poses a threat to global security and stability. The DPRK must choose to stop isolating itself and stand down its pursuit of nuclear weapons. The DPRK should cease any consideration of actions that would lead to the end of its regime and the destruction of its people.

President Trump was informed of the growing threat last December and on taking office his first orders to me emphasized the readiness of our ballistic missile defense and nuclear deterrent forces. While our State Department is making every effort to resolve this global threat through diplomatic means, it must be noted that the combined allied militaries now possess the most precise, rehearsed and robust defensive and offensive capabilities on Earth. The DPRK regime’s actions will continue to be grossly overmatched by ours and would lose any arms race or conflict it initiates.






  Washington, D.C.     

 



LEAVE COMMENTS



.

 


Happening Now

News summary for Friday, October 20, 2017

Death toll from Mogadishu bombing rises to at least 358

New York Amber Alert: Baby boy abducted from Troy

Knife-wielding man attacks people at mall in southeast Poland

Suicide bombers attack mosques in Afghanistan, killing at least 72





BNO NEWS RADIO


Listen to "BNO News - Breaking News Radio" on Spreaker.




SIGN-UP BREAKING ALERTS



Just want the important news? Sign up now for the fastest email alerts from BNO News. Click here to get started!




LIVE WIRE


New York Amber Alert: Baby boy abducted from Troy

Suicide bombers attack mosques in Afghanistan, killing at least 72

Disgruntled employee kills self at Ford’s Woodhaven Stamping Plant in Michigan

Explosion and fire at oilfield site near Dilley, Texas

‘Active shooter’ alert at Howard University in Washington, D.C.





VIDEOS


Playboy magazine founder Hugh Hefner dead at 91

1 dead, 7 injured after gunman opens fire at Tennessee church

Dam failure ‘imminent’ in northwest Puerto Rico, evacuations underway

U.S. Senator John McCain will not support revised GOP health care bill

North Korean leader vows to respond to Trump’s threat